COP21 Climate Protests in France Not Authorized Following Paris Attacks!!!

November 19, 2015

By Suzanne Maher

COP21 CLIMATE PROTESTS IN FRANCE NOT AUTHORIZED FOLLOWING PARIS ATTACKS

Major marches which had been planned to coincide with the COP21 international climate talks in Paris will not be authorised for security reasons, the French government has said.

Environmental activists – who had expected attract hundreds of thousands people on 29 November and 12 December – said that they accepted Wednesday’s decision with regret, but were now considering “new and imaginative” ways of making their voices heard.

Following the recent terror attacks in Paris, French authorities said a statement that all demonstrations organised in closed spaces or in places where security can easily be ensured could go ahead.

However, in order to avoid additional risks, the government has decided not to authorise climate marches planned in public places in Paris and other French cities,” it said.

Environmental activists had hoped the marches would attract large numbers to put pressure on governments to cut greenhouse gas emissions. A range of groups have been involved in planning actions during the summit and the position of every one of them was not immediately clear on Wednesday.

Some of those involved say though that more than 2,000 protests in around 150 countries during the talks have taken on a greater significance. They include the campaign group Avaaz, which released a promotional video for the marches it is involved in organising around the world.

To read more…

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/18/cop21-climate-marches-paris-attacks

 

COP21 Climate Protests in France Not Authorized Following Paris Attacks!!!